Calm a dry cough and sore throat quickly when you make this potent herbal cough syrup that’s as delicious as it is soothing and effective.
TIME: 1 hour
MAKES: 2 cups cough syrup
Strainer or cheesecloth
Sealable glass container
1. Pour water into a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil.
2. Add ginger, chamomile, marshmallow, slippery elm, and cinnamon, then lower to a simmer until the liquid is reduced by half.
3. Once reduced, pour through a strainer or cheesecloth to separate the herbs.
4. While liquid is warm, add the lemon juice and honey and whisk vigorously until well combined.
5. Place in an airtight glass container and store in the fridge for up to two months.
Take ½ to 1 tsp every ½ hour or as needed.
Curious about the medicinal benefits of each of these ingredients?
- Ginger. Naturally anti-inflammatory and an expectorant.
- Chamomile. Soothes throat muscles and relaxes the nerves.
- Marshmallow Root & Slippery Elm. Coats/soothes the throat.
- Cinnamon. An immune fighter and flavor enhancer.
- Lemon Juice. Antibacterial and high in vitamin C.
- Raw Honey. Antibacterial and naturally soothing to the throat. (NOTE: Don’t give raw honey to kids under 12 months old.)
- Buy your herbs in bulk, and remember your reusable bags!
- Choosing a reusable metal strainer over cheesecloth creates less waste, but if you do use cheesecloth, wash it out and reuse it, and put it (and all of your spent herbs) in the compost when you are done!